Clinical laboratory professionals, microbiologists, and pathologists need to be aware of an emerging fungal pathogen. According to the CDC, Candida auris is a threat because:
- It’s multi-drug resistant
- It’s often incorrectly identified by common laboratory techniques and analyzers
- It causes outbreaks in the healthcare setting.
Here are a few resources if you’d like to read more.
- The CDC has several pages devoted to this organism (Q&A, MMWR, and newsroom).
- This paper that appeared in the American Society of Microbiology’s Journal of Clinical Microbiology discusses the misidentification of this organism.
- And, as always, Maryn McKenna has a great write-up over on Germination.